Steel City News have come up with a list of 10 things we think you should know about Sheffield….enjoy!
2. Its name derives from the River Sheaf, which runs through the city.
3. During the 19th century, the city gained an international reputation for steel production.
4. 61% of Sheffield is green space, and a third of the city lies within the Peak District National Park.
5. Sheffield has two universities: Sheffield Hallam University and the University of Sheffield. The two combined bring about 54,000 students to the city each year.
6. Sheffield has along sporting heritage, with: two football teams: Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United, a ice hockey team: The Sheffield Steelers, and Sheffield also hosts the World Snooker Championships each year at The Crucible.
7. The city is also home to some of music‘s most well-known bands, including: The Human League, Def Leppard, the Arctic Monkeys and Pulp (to name a few!)
8. There are tow large theatres, the Lyceum Theatre and the Crucible Theatre, and together with the small Studio Theatre make up the largest theatre complex outside London.
9. Sheffield has two newspapers: The Sheffield Star and The Sheffield Telegraph, both published by Johnston Press PLC.
10. The Full Monty, The History Boys and Four Lions are all set, or partly set in Sheffield.
So there it is, our list of amazing and interesting facts about the City of Steel.
By Laura Browse.
Tagsabbeydale industrial hamlet big brother Boardwalk budget cartoonist catwalk Crucible theatre Don Valley Bowl email scams Endcliffe Park exhibition fashion Festival film Fundraiser galvanize sheffield Higgins Ian Baker Lanterns Music Nightlife Out O' Date Phishing scam podcast quiz referendum review Royal Family Scream 4 Sheffield showroom SHU SNOOKER SOYO steel Student Loans Sunny tuition fees Umbrella Dance university of sheffield Valentine's Day Venues voting system Weather Wedding World Record Attempt
Search For Articles…